Friday, November 11, 2011

Fabric Friday A Framed Table Setting

Passionately ArtisticToday is an exciting day as I have created a special Fabric Friday post for Passionately Artistic, a weekly linking party.  Pop over there and join in the fun.

One of my favorite things to do during the Holidays is designing table settings for fancy dinners.  For this year I wanted to do something entirely different from what I usually do.  Instead of chargers under the dinner plates and namecards placed at each setting I thought I would combine the two within a frame.
First I found an old ratty 11" x 17" frame which was in need of a face lift and then I gave it a quick coat of Heirloom White spray paint.  For the base of the frame I wrapped a piece of tea stained muslin around a piece of 10 7/8" x 16 7/8" foam core board.  To help the fabric stay in place I used batting adhesive on the front side of the foam core and cloth tape on the back.
Next I stenciled a pattern on to the muslin using Craft Pigment Ink in Certainly Celery and Chocolate Chip.  For the name I backed a piece of Spice Cake Designer Series Fabric with iron on fabric adhesive.  Then I cut the letters out of the fabric using the Alphabet Simple Bigz Dies and my Big Shot.  Then I peeled the adhesive backing and ironed the letters on the muslin.
To set the table I layered a green bamboo place mat under the frame and then placed my dishes.  I played with the direction of which way to place the frame.  I like it with the silver ware on and off the frame.  Either direction works for me and it will depend on what I come up with for the centerpiece.  To pump up the napkin I quickly snipped and ripped an 18" square of another pattern from the Spice Cake Designer Series Fabric and layered it on top of a soft blue 22" square napkin.  For the napkin ring I cut a couple tags from the coordinating Spice Cake Designer Series Paper and a banner greeting from the Hand Penned Holidays stamp set.  I love how the text adds a little something something that just finishes the look.

Well, now I am off to Good Will to find five more frames, enough for our Thanksgiving dinner.  Come back for more!

Happy fabric craftin, Elizabeth

4 comments: