Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Have a Coke and a Smile

For my card I combined two online challenges: the recycling challenge over at Paper Players and the sketch challenge at the Sweetest Thing.  I sent the card to my son, Nicholas, who leaves for Mendoza, Argentina on the 11th of this month.  You're thinkin' "a flower on a card for a guy?"  Yup, that's right a flower but that is okay because it is made from a Coke a Cola can.  He, like me, loves Coke so it's all good. I even used packing paper to make an envelope.  Would you believe it cost me $1.22 to mail?


So, not only is the Coke recycled and used on my card, but so is the scallop circle.  It was cut from a scrap of plastic paper divider sheet.  In my search of looking for recycled goodies to use on my card, I came across a single piece of this retired Stampin' Up! Halloween designer series paper.  I don't even remember the name of the pack, but I know I used lots of it.

The other printed designer papers come from the In-Color Paper Pack which is a Hostess Level One gift.  The card base measures 5 1/4" square and is Basic Black cardstock.  I also used some scraps of Whisper White and Real Red cardstock for the greeting.  Speaking of the greeting it comes from the stamp set in the IBC called Word Play.  The awesome flower accent was cut from the Flower Daisies #2 Bigz Die.  I used just a few embellishments to finish the card: Basic Rhinestones, Neutrals Buttons, and Clear Rhinestone Brads.


10 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I was so hoping when I saw this in my Reader that it was for my recycling challenge! Yeehaw! I love the envelope even more!!!! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous! From the colors and the layout to the gorgeous flower--perfect for our recycling challenge! So glad you could join us again this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowza! I love the flower! A perfect card for the recycling challenge! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son must have loved this card! The recycled coke flower with the brad and button is just perfect. I thought recycling paper for the envelope was the perfect finishing touch. LOVE it!
    So glad you joined the Paper Players this week and shared this fabulous creation.
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew a Coca Cola can would make such an awesome flower! I'm sure your son will love it! And your recycled envelope is the crowning touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm COMPLETELY smiling after seeing this one, Elizabeth! Awesome way to use the soda can and I love the envelope! Reminds me of a "brown bag lunch" from my grade-school days! I'm sure your son loved it! Thanks for playing along with The Paper Players again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your card on Paper Players. Just wanted to say WOW .... great card and LOVE the recycled can for the flower. It makes a great statement.
    Congratulations on being chosen as a Winner! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely recycling ideas! I like the Coke can flower, and I like the wrapping paper envelope idea even more!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete